There is a darkness out there. It’s not the darkness of space, nor the universe or the expanse of the heavens where God resides. It is the realm of outer darkness. A place where God wants no one to be, ever. God’s darkness was created good and He called it night.
Adam’s fall changed that. Fear came, death came, destruction came. God had to put Adam and Eve out of the garden so they would not live forever in a fallen state, for you see the Tree of Life was still there.
Jesus changed all that. When He came to die for us He brought back the keys of death and hell, and as believers He gives authority over the darkness, the evil darkness, the wicked darkness, the corrupt darkness.
Keep in mind it is not the night itself that is bad, the night terrors, nightmares, and criminal elements, have high jacked the place of rest, of refreshing of sleep for the beloved, and as a believer, you are.
God protected people, including Jesus, through dreams. Mary and Joseph fled because of a dream. The other Joseph told his dream, and was betrayed by his brothers, but God worked it out for him in the end. Joseph is a type of Jesus, betrayed by a disciple.
There are stars to marvel at, walks in the moonlight on the beach. Night was intended to be a time of togetherness, of joy, and love. Peaceful and relaxing. Things were never intended to go wrong in the night, but how often they have, there is a darkness beyond darkness, but no matter the depths of your despair, no matter where you are right now or where you lay your head, Jesus is there. Call on Him. You can both have and renew the mind of Christ.
This place of darkness is for the demonic, the devilish, fiendish, foolish and maniacal. It is for fallen angels that chose to believe that an angel who was once perfect allowed pride to think he could do better than God. And he convinced them. So what is a third of innumerable? I don’t know.
But you have God the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit, and two thirds of innumerable angels and possibly angels still being created and they have charge of you, the blood of Jesus covers you and protects you, but you are the one who has to decide, to believe, to pray, and to hold on, to fight if necessary and God fights for you. He asks you to rest in His promises, He asks you to be still. he will quiet you with His love. It is alright to talk to someone, to open up, even in a fear or panic, Jesus faced that going to the cross, fear has torment, fear is a weapon, fear is the devil. Not normal caution or wisdom, but terrible fear.
There’s a darkness out there, the devil lurks there, evil and cruelty. Suicide walks there. Death walks there. Pharmakia, the drug users, oppressors, walk there. And so much more. But we are talking about contemplating suicide.
I sat at my computer and there was a request for a family who had lost a son, it’s a common request. A couple of weeks ago, it was a 23 yr. old, raised a Christian, lost to drugs, he probably didn’t intend to overdose. No one ever thinks it could be them or their child or someone they love, don’t deceive yourselves, don’t let the devil deceive you. It most certainly can.
Loss upon loss can be a factor, I talked to a teenager whose mother is in jail for drugs, raised in church, five deaths in the family, he is back in youth detention. He assured me this was not too much for him, but I know it was to an extent, he is still a child though like most children, he thinks he already knows it all. When adults have trouble separating the enemy’s lies, how do we expect children to? I don’t know it all but I know who does. ( He is back with his mother at the moment. )
Threatening suicide can be a manipulative tool, controlling families, and the person has no intention except to get his or her way. It can also be a cry for help. It is a spirit that can run through families, though generational curses can be broken. Believing in Jesus will do it, because He took everything for us. We don’t want to take back what He bore, but what if you don’t know He did, cannot or will not submit to Him and resist the devil who flees? Fear is most likely at the root, other spirits are attached, grief, depression, sorrow, loneliness, even anger. I am not a professional but I know what hurt feels like, rejection, feeling like an orphan, even if you have parents, good parents. Ask God to heal those wounds. The blood of Jesus is like the balm of Gilead poured over your soul. You cannot just merely give it God or get over it, it is a process. Jesus said there was sufficient evil in each day. The devil would derail you if he could.
Consider, that as a believer, Jesus left us His peace. John 14:27 It passes all understanding and guards your heart and mind. Phillipians 4:7 He can keep you in His perfect peace, if your mind is fixed on Him. He gives us grace and more grace. John 1:!6
Losing love is not enough reason, or a family member, money or workplace problems. Guilt or shame is no reason either, Jesus bore that too, if you are a believer. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, and are you sure you have truly given Jesus your heart or are you just thinking because you went to church you were saved? If you have truly given Him your heart you will know how much He loves you and not give in to despair. I can believe that, but perhaps, some cannot see it for the darkness that has befallen them.
I know people who have fought that temptation, who have had to have people, strong prayer warriors pray for them, even someone in ministry. No one is totally immune to the devil’s attacks or fearful, hopeless thoughts, intimidation, or accusations. remember Job, he was a righteous man, his fears let the hedge of protection around him that God had up go down. God’s love is the only antidote to fear, ours alone is not enough.
Likewise, our fears, can do the same. Let our guard down. So let’s talk to the Lord and let Him deliver us. Many times we will have press through and overcome a fear. You will be surprised when you do, the relief. I can pray for you, but I cannot pray for you! You must pray for yourself, if you don’t know how ask the Holy Spirit to help you. You may eventually learn about spiritual gifts. He is the only one who knows all your thoughts, thoughts and imaginations that have to be cast down and destroyed by the knowledge that Jesus is greater than the problem.
But if you are in a fragile state, I urge to just be still, rest. Read in John how much Jesus loves you. Seek professional help or even medication. But keep your faith as well. Suicide is not glamorous, the world won’t remember you, even the famous fade, and it’s a shame, no one will hear the voices of those singers that could have been praisers instead of caving, to drugs, the idea of celebrity, and fleeting adoration. That is a thought for you, do yo not realize that your torment is keeping your from becoming someone who could bless others?
Some people hear voices. But we all hear the voices of our own minds and thoughts, they will be influenced by God and Higher thoughts of love, kindness and giving, or by the enemy’s lies, negativity and accusations. We hear the voices of the news, the pop culture and the ministry, what we should be, should think should do. Sometimes, they are overwhelming, and impossible to deal with. That’s why God sent Jesus to give us peace and the night is a place of prayer and rest and we need to own it as believers. Are you a believer? You have God on your side, suicide is hideous, deceptive and destructive, a waste of the life Jesus died to give you, one of joy and abundance. Like I said, God is on your side and if you are contemplating suicide, think again. Jesus willingly gave His life for you to live for Him, so why take that life before He can even help you? Why help the devil destroy you? Why do drugs? Why think the thoughts of darkness when there are so many other things to think about? He was willing to die for you to live, so why won’t you live because He died for you? Please get help from someone and the One who loves you most. He loves you and I love you enough to tell you, you don’t have to contemplate suicide. Rebecca Jones / stock photo / This post was originally on Kelly Balarie’s link up and has been updated and shared to several ministries. Please repost.
- I wanted to update this post after reading Susan Mead’s story about being comforted over the death of her sister, Bette, who committed suicide. While most of us are taught we would go to hell and that fear would stop us from contemplating it. I cannot judge the deep love of God for someone who has been born again, but just cannot comprehend His grace and peace and experience the love He offers. we are not greater than a God who gave His Son for us to have eternal life. Though I personally believed it to be a selfish act, I am not without compassion, having experienced great physical pain. I thought death would probably be a relief at times, but one day I came close, I was fighting for every ounce of strength and life, and I was afraid. I’m not sure I would believe anyone who said they are not afraid to die. I was afraid to sleep because I though I might not wake up. I suppose it is how you die that scares you too, that is why I can’t/ won’t contemplate suicide. I knew I would go to heaven, but I had more life to live.
- Most of these issues are like the thorns that grow up and choke out His words, cut them down and they grow back. we have to keep them cut by remembering He wore a crown of thorns for us. My best advice would be to immerse yourself in His love, and the boy in the story was reunited with his mother, I hope he can stay out of trouble. I would also like to recommend Dr. Michelle Bengston and Hope Prevails, here’s a link. http://drmichellebengtson.com/suicide-theres-another-way/
- God bless Susan for sharing this and the story of her son, and sister. I pray it is a comfort to those who struggle with grief and that this post will make us want to fight for life, ours and others, it is so very precious.
- Again, I find myself updating this post after two celebrity suicides. Fame and money do not exclude you from the hurts of a lifetime or the emotional baggage we can all carry. It can start out like a backpack, and get heavier like a soldier’s gear and finally, feel like a ton of bricks.
- Sin plays a role in it, the inability to settle into a marriage, the continuous and self seeking life, a self centered life, choosing adultery and affairs instead of accepting God’s true love, the inability to cast down imaginations and every wrong thought. It is something the world does not have, because the Holy Spirit is not in the hearts of unbelieving people, even Christians can have hearts of unbelief, when they fail to recognize attack of the enemy or even a spiritual realm.
- Spiritual gifts and warfare are very real, and the battle can be staggering to the mind, it is wise to seek help from believers with a firm faith and experience in these matter, who are rooted and grounded in His Word.
- Let’s pray for people, instead of being fascinated by them or envious of wealth, looks or lifestyle. The grass isn’t always greener.
- And if you ever contemplate suicide, think about your children. Oh sure, you think they are better off without me, but are they really?Both Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spade had daughters, how are they feeling today?
- I have been told, I wanted to believe in miracles, I didn’t have to believe that a boy who regained consciousness before his family donated his organs was a miracle, that I am not a doctor, have no medical knowledge, and that is true. But I say it’s a miracle because I do have Jesus.
- I heard a minister say once, that you can just keep on until you die or kill everyone around you. And it is true, to an extent, because our actions influence so many, when the enemy is able to suck the life out of you through chaos and confusion, the dark and foreboding images that speak to your soul, he can wreak havoc on families.
- Fear is at the root of it all, and fears can be overcome by His love, faith has to grow and it does get attacked, that is why we need to encourage each other daily. I may not know a lot about suicide. I had one friend who tried and thank God was unsuccessful, he had three children and a beautiful wife. He was a musician, but his life was over run and his mother died of cancer and that was the last straw, however, his wife was in the medical field and his short stay in a facility, brought him back to reality. She never talked to me about why she brought the girls over to stay at daycare extra days, after that I knew. She was concerned about him and their welfare.
- I do know what it is like to live with the fear that someone could attempt it. I have been harder on some people than others, but Jesus never forces His love on you, it is your choice, and while I can see it as selfish, telling a little girl that it’s not her fault, ask her father. I can see where they might not. But when you have the money and means or insurance take advantage of the help. So many people do not have the help.
- Finally, lose the things that stir fear, I told someone to stop reading Stephen King once, there are better things to sow into your spirit. God bless, and if you are contemplating suicide or know someone who is, do not go to that place of your mind that is the darkness, the Lord can shine His light and give you peace. I pray for you today, in Jesus mighty name, that He speaks love to you, and cancels that enemy assignment, receive His love, it is the strongest hope you have if you are hurting. I was taught that if you want the truth, asks someone who loves you, I hope you believe I love you, and want you to know the truth, Jesus, He sets you free.
- As of 10/4/18, I have had to write more on the subject and have heard of at least 4 or 5 more deaths, be assured John 10:10 makes it clear, the devil is the one who wants to steal, kill or destroy, Jesus is all about life, don’t deceive yourself into thinking it’s not worth living, the song says, because He lives, I can face tomorrow, and life is worth the living just because He lives.
- Now, in August 2020 this is being reposted again. I pray it reaches and blesses someone.
- Rebecca Jones